Join a great team, work with modern tech, and have a significant impact on the future of two internationally important open source projects.
Artefactual Systems develops the open-source Archivematica and AtoM software applications. We provide a range of services around these open source projects, including software development, hosting and consulting, to an impressive list of international clients. We are looking to add a test engineer to our growing team based in New Westminster, B.C.
You will work as a test engineer on our two main open-source software projects, Archivematica and AtoM. You will work closely with our software analysts, developers, and systems administrators to improve the quality of our software development work, while helping to shorten the software release cycle. You will focus on planning, writing and deploying automated functional tests. You will participate in the software design and development process, including code reviews, helping to ensure testability of code. You will help describe and demonstrate our testing processes to a variety of stakeholders, from the development team to clients and participants in our open source communities.
We are a small and growing team of technologists and domain experts. This is an opportunity to have a significant impact on the future of two internationally important open source projects.
Artefactual provides an engaged and enjoyable work environment as well as opportunities for professional development and growth, including attending conferences and working with new and cutting-edge technologies. This is a full-time, hourly position (contract options will be considered). Salary will be commensurate with experience and skills, and an extended health and dental benefits plan covering the employee and his or her family is part of the compensation package. For individuals located in the Greater Vancouver area, we offer the flexibility of working from home one or two days a week. We will also consider applicants who live outside of the area and are willing to work remotely.
Mandatory application qualifications
- Must understand, use and love free and open-source software
- 1+ years professional experience writing automated tests for real-world, production software
- 1+ years professional development experience
- Must have proven experience working in a team on a technical project
- Must be self-motivated and self-learning
- Must have excellent communication skills in English, including the ability to communicate technical ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences, and a higher than average ability to listen.
- Good understanding of current testing best practices and methods
- Good understanding of the value of TDD and CI
- Ability to be comfortable and productive in a Unix environment
- Experience with Continuous Integration tools such as Jenkins and Travis
- Experience with functional testing tools such as Selenium and Cucumber
- Experience developing feature files using Gherkin
Our projects are developed with:
- Version control: Git
- Web frameworks: Symfony (AtoM) or Django (Archivematica)
- Search: Elasticsearch
- Database: MySQL, SQLite
- CI/CD: Jenkins, Travis
- Acceptance Tests: Gherkin, behave, Selenium
- Collaboration: Slack, Gmail, GitHub, Gitlab, Hangouts, and Redmine
Artefactual supports workplace diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status or physical or mental disability. Please note that our office is not wheelchair accessible.
Please send your cover letter and CV in PDF format to email@example.com. We are especially interested in hearing about your ability to deliver on our mandatory qualifications and required skills in your cover letter.
Thank you in advance for your interest in this position. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.