Artefactual Systems develops the open-source Archivematica and AtoM software applications. We provide a range of services around these open source projects, including software development, hosting and consulting, to an impressive list of international clients. We are looking to add experienced software developers to our growing team based in New Westminster, B.C.
You will work as a developer on our two main open-source software projects, Archivematica and AtoM. You will participate in the full software development lifecycle, from design to coding to testing, and help describe your work by writing documentation and participating in user and developer forums. We are a small and growing team of technologists and domain experts. This is an opportunity to have a significant impact on the future of two internationally important open source projects.
Artefactual provides an engaged and enjoyable work environment as well as opportunities for professional development and growth, including attending conferences and working with new and cutting-edge technologies. This is a full-time, hourly position (contract options will be considered). Salary will be commensurate with experience and skills, and an extended health and dental benefits plan covering the employee and his or her family is part of the compensation package. For individuals located in the Greater Vancouver area, we offer the flexibility of working from home one or two days a week. We will also consider applicants who live outside of the area and are willing to work remotely.
Mandatory application qualifications
- Must understand, use and love free and open-source software
- 3+ years of professional web development experience
- Must have proven experience working in a team on a technical project
- Must be self-motivated and self-learning
- Must have excellent communication skills in English, including reading, writing, speaking, listening and understanding
- A good working knowledge of Git, including committing, branching and merging
- Good understanding of the value of TDD and CI
- Ability to be comfortable and productive in a Unix environment
- Familiarity with messaging patterns, events, micro-services and other concepts of distributed computing
- Experience with multiple programming languages
- Experience with DevOps tools like Ansible and Docker
- Experience with Agile methods
Our projects are developed with:
- Version control: Git
- Web frameworks: Symfony (AtoM) or Django (Archivematica)
- Search: Elasticsearch
- Database: MySQL, SQLite
- CI/CD: Jenkins, Travis
- Collaboration: Slack, Gmail, GitHub, Gitlab, Hangouts, and Redmine
Artefactual supports workplace diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status or physical or mental disability. Please note that our office is not wheelchair accessible.
Please send your cover letter and CV in PDF format to email@example.com. We are especially interested in hearing about your ability to deliver on our mandatory qualifications and required skills in your cover letter.
Thank you in advance for your interest in this position. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.