Artefactual Systems develops the Archivematica (https://www.archivematica.org/) and AtoM (https://www.accesstomemory.org/) open-source software applications. We are a small and growing team of technologists and domain experts (https://www.artefactual.com/team/) who provide a range of services around these projects including software development, hosting, and consulting to an impressive list of international clients (https://www.artefactual.com/clients/) in the cultural heritage sector. We are looking to add a Linux Systems Administrator to our growing team based in New Westminster, BC, Canada.
You will focus on providing enterprise-grade computing and storage technical support. Activities will include:
- Monitoring and maintaining existing client servers (OS-level support) as well as assisting in application-level support
- Deploying and configuring new client systems
- Development and deployment of internal tools and systems (e.g. automated deployment scripts, backup systems, monitoring systems)
Artefactual provides an engaged and enjoyable work environment as well as opportunities for professional development and growth, including attending conferences and working with new and cutting-edge technologies. This is a full-time, permanent, hourly position. We are not considering applicants based outside of the Greater Vancouver area at this time. For employees based within the Greater Vancouver area, we offer the flexibility of working from home one day a week.
This is a full-time, permanent, hourly position. Compensation is between $30 – $45 hourly, commensurate with experience and skills, and will include an extended health and dental benefits plan covering the employee and his or her family.
Mandatory Application Qualifications
- Proven Linux systems administration experience
- Experience with command line scripting (e.g. bash, python, php)
- Experience deploying web applications
- Proven experience working in a team on a technical project
- Self-motivated and self-learning
- Excellent communication skills in English, including communicating technical ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences, and a higher than average ability to listen.
- Available to work in our New Westminster, Canada office
- Systems administration experience in Ubuntu, CentOS, and/or RHEL environments
- A working knowledge of git, including branching, merging and rebasing
- Knowledge of Linux performance monitoring tools
- Knowledge of Linux packaging systems (deb/rpm)
- Experience with Jenkins or similar continuous integration tools
- Experience with networked file systems (e.g. NFS, CIFS, CEPH)
- Experience working with VPN servers and clients
- Experience with Memcached, Varnish, and/or Redis
- Experience with Agile methods and practices
- Experience deploying and supporting cloud based applications
- Virtualization: Virtualbox, Docker, KVM, and LXC
- OS: Ubuntu Server, CentOS, and RHEL
- Filesystem: Ext, NFS, SMB
- Distributed authentication: LDAP and Shibboleth
- RDBMS: MySQL and SQLite
- Scripting: bash, Python, and PHP
- Deployment and orchestration: Ansible
- Monitoring: Zabbix, Grafana
- CI: Jenkins and Travis
- Version control: Git
- Job management: Gearman
- Web server: Nginx, Gunicorn, and Apache
- Web search: Elasticsearch
Artefactual supports workplace diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status or physical or mental disability. Please note that our office is not wheelchair accessible; however, we are able to accommodate work performed remotely and encourage qualified applicants with mobility issues to apply.
Please send your cover letter and CV in PDF format to email@example.com or apply online. We are especially interested in hearing about your ability to deliver on our mandatory qualifications and recommended skills in your cover letter.
Thank you in advance for your interest in this position. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.