Artefactual Systems develops the Archivematica (https://www.archivematica.org/) and AtoM (https://www.accesstomemory.org/) open-source software applications. We are a small and growing team of technologists and domain experts (https://www.artefactual.com/team/) who provide a range of services around these projects including software development, hosting, and consulting to an impressive list of international clients (https://www.artefactual.com/clients/) in the cultural heritage sector. We are looking to add an experienced software developer to our growing team based in New Westminster, B.C.
You will work primarily as a developer on the AtoM project, with the option to contribute to Archivematica as opportunities arise. You will participate in the full software development lifecycle, from design to coding to testing, and you will help describe your work by writing documentation and participating in user and developer forums. This is an opportunity to have a significant impact on the future of two open source projects of international importance.
Artefactual provides an engaged and enjoyable work environment as well as opportunities for professional development and growth, including attending conferences and working with new and cutting-edge technologies. This is a full-time, permanent, hourly position. Compensation will be commensurate with experience and skills and will include an extended health and dental benefits plan covering the employee and his or her family. We are not considering applicants based outside of the Greater Vancouver area at this time. For employees based within the Greater Vancouver area, we offer the flexibility of working from home one day a week.
Mandatory application qualifications
- Must have 3+ years of professional web development experience
- Must have good PHP development skills, and practical experience with object-oriented programming concepts
- Must have proven experience working in a team on a technical project
- Must be self-motivated and self-learning
- Must have excellent communication skills in English, including reading, writing, speaking, listening and understanding
- Must be comfortable and productive in a Linux development and deployment environment
- Must be available to work in our office in New Westminster, Canada
- A good working knowledge of Git, including committing, branching and merging
- Experience with one or more PHP frameworks (e.g. Symfony, Laravel, Zend Framework)
- Experience contributing code to an open source project
- Experience with multiple programming languages, with extra bonus points for Python development experience
- Experience with Agile methods and processes
- Experience with one or more Single Page Application frameworks (e.g. AngularJS, React, Ember.js)
- Good understanding of the value of automated testing and continuous integration
Our projects are developed with:
- Version control: Git
- Web frameworks: Symfony (AtoM) or Django (Archivematica)
- Search: Elasticsearch
- Database: MySQL, SQLite
- CI/CD: Jenkins, Travis
- Collaboration: Slack, G Suite applications (mail, calendar, Hangouts, etc), GitHub, Gitlab, and Redmine
Artefactual supports workplace diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status or physical or mental disability. Please note that our office is not wheelchair accessible.
Please send your cover letter and CV in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org or apply online. We are especially interested in hearing about your ability to deliver on our mandatory qualifications and recommended skills in your cover letter.
Thank you in advance for your interest in this position. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.